Friday, July 19, 2013

The Butterfly House

What a great morning with great company.  The boys, Nonna, and I headed to the Butterfly House this morning to meet Nancy and her daughter, Sarah.  Sarah has a sweet little girl just a few weeks older than Jack.  The boys started out exploring the exhibits outside the  Butterfly House.  Max loved playing the role of cashier.  I think I 'bought' that ear of corn about six times. 
 
This picture looks innocent enough, but behind the glass are about a million nasty roaches.   The boys had a great time feeding them 'roach food'.  Which happened to include a few cheerios.  I should have know this had disaster written all over it.  One of Will's roach O's fell on the ground and before I could react he picked it up and popped it in his mouth.  Disgusting. 


 Then it was time to head into the actual Butterfly House itself - it is almost like a giant greenhouse and it was hot in there.  These gorgeous butterflies did make it worth suffering in the heat.  It's such a surreal experience to wander around while thousands of butterflies surround you.  My favorites were the blue ones, but they didn't stay still long enough for a picture. 
 Max ran off to take pictures with Nonna's phone.  It helped to keep him engaged because after about five minutes he was done.  I guess when you are five you see one butterfly you've seen them all.  Will really enjoyed it.  Doesn't he look too cute in his overalls?


 Afterwards we picked up lunch and headed back to our house to visit and relax.  This gave Jack some time to make friends with sweet little Amelia.  He was happy to share his play mat with this little cutie.  They were just adorable!
I was able to get this little shot of Jack this afternoon.  He has a new favorite pastime - sucking on his hands.  He hasn't done the whole staring at his hands thing, but I think he has figured out that they are there, because they are constantly in his mouth.  Well when he isn't cooing that is.  I swear this little guy coos like no other.  I love it!

No comments: