Saturday, April 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Will!

Will loves his new toy, hopefully Max will let Will use it!
I guess I really need to stop calling him Baby Will - he is a big one year old as of 9:22 this morning. 

We had a great day together.  He loved his Cozy Coupe as soon as he saw it this morning.  He had fun riding as well as pushing the car all around the house today.

Max and I made a special cake for Will's big day --- funfetti of course.  Max was very proud of his creation.  Tonight we had a nice dinner as a family and then sang to Will and dug into the cake.  We have Will's party next weekend, so today was pretty low key. 

I find it so hard to believe that my baby is already one and leaving babyhood behind.  As I reflect on our first year as a family of four I realize just how much I have learned. . .





  • In some ways number two is easier - I feel like I know what I'm doing, at least some of the time
  • Babies are resilient
  • Constipation is no fun for a newborn, or anyone really
    Our little Red Rocket all dressed for soccer
  • Having a Carter's so close is dangerous
  • Nursing was easier the second go around, at least for the first six months
  • Onsies are fabulous for summer --- why did I always think Max needed pants on top of them? 
  •  Laundry is a never ending process
  • Bathing two kids together is tough
  • Max is an amazing big brother
  • The Ergo baby carrier is a must have for every mom of two
  • Arm N Hammer scented bags are sooooo much better than a smelly diaper pail
  • A vomiting baby is really scary
  • Recovering from a c-section is tougher the second go around - I'm not sure if it was the stairs or the three year old
  • Two of my favorite boys
    Nursing was tougher this go around after six months -- Will always wanted to know what Max was up to.
  • Yo Baby yogurts are the best
  • Aden and Anais make fabulous blankets
  • Not all babies are snugglers, but I have to say that when Will does want some snuggles it is even more special
  • Costco diapers are the best -- but Sam's wipes are better
  •  Grocery shopping with two kids is tough
  • Two drop offs in the morning are rough
  • So are two pick ups in the afternoon
  • A bigger house means more places for babies to hide
  • We have a tons of outlets within Will's reach
  • No matter how hard I try to keep my floors clean, Will can always find something yucky to stick in his mouth
  • Brian is a fabulous daddy
  • Marriage takes work -- sometimes it is tough to remember that
  •  Boys are fun, but their clothes still aren't nearly as cute as girls
  • Using Max's old clothes isn't working out as well as I would have hoped
    Max was happy to help with the candle
  • Being a working with two kids is soooo much tougher than working with just one
  • Big boy toys are always more appealing than the age appropriate stuff mommy offers
  •  Babies learn things quickly -- I really can't turn my back
  • I'm still the luckiest girl alive
  • A great big brother more than makes up for not being the only child

Yummy Cake

Clap if you love birthdays!
Will has brought so much  joy and laughter to our home.  He is usually very serious, but boy when you get him going there is no stopping that infectious smile and laugh.  Brian and I knew we wanted to grow our family but before Will joined us I didn't know how I could ever love another little one as much as I love Max. 


As soon as Will joined our world that thought was gone.  As soon as I saw those amazing lashes and that cute little dimple I knew he was meant to join our family.   I can't imagine a day going by without my littlest man in it.   We are so incredibly lucky and I count my blessing every day!

1 comment:

Love+ Mama said...

I always love your list of lessons learned! Agree with a few, not as much with others. Can't believe it's been a year (and then some!)