Saturday, July 19, 2008

He Grew How Much?!


Max was such a big boy yesterday! He had quite the day. Not only did he turn four months old, but he also got to see Dr. Spewak for his four month appointment. I was relieved to see that there were no sick kids in the waiting room. I have had mixed emotions about going to this appointment - I have been dying to know what my little boys weighs but the thought of him getting more shots breaks my heart. We did the fun stuff first. Max weighed in at 17lb 3oz, which puts him at about the 75th percentile. More shocking than his weight was his height - he is 27 1/4 inches tall, or I guess maybe long since he doesn't really stand up yet. His height is in the 95th percentile. He has grown so much in the last two months! He put on over 5 pounds and grew almost 5 inches! The doctor actually said that Max is the perfect size . . . for a six month old. I now understand why I had to buy him a whole new summer wardrobe in 9 month size! It is hard to believe now that I was worried he wasn't gaining weight initially.

Dr. Spewak said that Max looks great. He is hitting all of his milestones just like he should. We think he has started teething. His hands are always in his mouth and he is drooling like crazy. He has also been a bit fussier than usual and I actually had to break out the baby Tylenol last evening. Dr. Spewak also gave us the green light to start solid foods, although I think we will wait until closer to six months to embark on that journey. Max just doesn't seem ready at all right now.

I am very proud to say that I have been doing much better about giving Max his tummy time. In fact, he doesn't really seem to mind it so much anymore. We are able to get him to do over 10 minutes before he starts to fuss and then I can usually get a few more minutes in before he really starts to melt down. I can see a huge difference in how strong he is and how long he is able to hold his head up on his tummy. I guess it really does build strength. To celebrate is four month birthday Max rolled over twice last night when he was on his tummy. He hasn't done that since he was about a month old - which was a complete accident at the time I am sure. I will have to see if he continues to roll in the next few days.

Since Max is getting so big it has been getting more and more difficult to swaddle him when he sleeps. Only one problem, when he isn't swaddled he doesn't sleep. Last week I started swaddling him with one arm out and last night I left both arms out and he actually slept from bedtime until 6am! Shocking. I guess he is just about ready to move on to the sleep sacks at night. My little boy is just growing up so fast!

No comments: