Tuesday, September 21, 2021

September 11th - 20 Years Later

On September 11th we headed to see the Flags of Valor.  I'm going to be completely honest here.  It was a horrible drive down.  The kids woudln't stop fighting.  We met Nonna at a parkign lot and she was late, the traffic was awful, Jack didn't want to get out of the car - you get the idea.  We arrived and my nerves were very frayed and my patience was nonexisent.  

Then we walked up to the flags.  There were over 7,000 to represent each person that died on September 11th as well as the service members that have died since.  Each flag had a picture and a dog tag.  


As the wind blew the flags would wave and the dog tags would tap the poles.  It was the most beautiful and heartbreaking sound I have ever heard.  Each of those flags represent a person.  A son, daughter, mother, father, friend.  I was completely overwhelmed with emotion.  

Seeing the flags and hearing that sound brought me to tears.  I'm so grateful for their sacrifices and we will never forget.

 

No comments: