Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Our Little Fish

So both of the little boys began structured swim lessons after the holidays.  I'm working with Max at the gym pool, so since I'm the teacher there aren't any pictures of his lessons.  I'll have to remedy that.

Jack's PT suggested swimming lessons as another avenue to support his gross motor skills.  I searched high and low and found a preschool session where I don't that to get in the water AND that takes place when Will is at school.  Huge win.

His little eyes were as big as saucers when he first saw the pool.  We were a bit early so I let him play and kick around a bit since there wasn't another class in the water before us.  He adjusted well and was ready when his class began.  I'll admit I get a bit nervous since he is the smallest kiddo in the class and I'm worried he will bob off into the deep end.

It seems that his very favorite part of class is at the end when they get to look for the rings in the water.  So far he has managed four lessons without going under, so we will have to see how he likes that when the time comes.


Our goal with Jack isn't to create the next great swimmer quite yet.  We are working on helping him to build up the muscle in his legs.  The water allows for his to do so without the pressure of his full weight.  So far so good, he lights up every Friday when I tell him it is time for swimming lessons.


This guy was ridiculously excited to start swimming lessons.  He couldn't contain himself as we sat on the bleachers and waited for our session to begin.  He is in a Swim American program and I'm hoping that he develops some solid skills and shows progress.  


 He loved the floats he got to use with his teacher.  I just love the look of determination I saw on his face as he gave his very best effort.  He tried everything asked of his and there were no tears.  It's also nice that on Wednesday nights he gets a bit of one on one time with mom or dad when we take him to lessons.

  At the end of every lesson they have a chance to jump into the deep end.  Will did it the first night.  It wasn't pretty, but when he talked to Daddy about lessons that night he didn't bring that part up.  He was very excited to share that he got to kick, glide, and blow bubbles.  The second class he chose not to 'cannonball' as he called it.  We will take it.  Baby steps.

No comments: